I am trying to narrow my focus on the Interactive white board. After reviewing my original post, I am going to look for ways to use the IWB to teach reading and comprehension in the classroom while keeping the activities and lessons interactive. I am mostly interested in the activities for the students to use. If you have any suggestions on how I can narrow the topic, I welcome them. While searching for more articles I came upon a site called "TeacherTube"
retrieved 4-3-08
http://www.teachertube.com/uprofile.php?UID=68022
This sight contains videos of SMART Board uses (SMART classroom's video album). There are basic 2 minute tutorials, which are helpful reminders or information to add to your SMART Board "how to" collection. If you click on the link to the left "View my: videos" you will get a list of the clips available to view.
2 students from Edmonton, Alberta, have a short broadcast that shows the use of the SMART board in their school. Quite interesting is how the students point out what is important to them. I learned that you can use headphones when students are working on the board during centers. Anxious to try it.
The clip that was most helpful for me was done by a kindergarten teacher in PA., Mary Lehman. This video is an overview of how Mary uses the SMART board in her classroom. She won the "World Teachers Day 2007 North America Award". What I picked up from her video was how she used pictures to have students sequence a story. I could see my students writing off of this. She talks and shows how she has students writing typed into a Word document and then can share and edit with the entire class if the student allows. Since writing and reading are so tightly knit, I can see the use to benefit all students in the classroom.
I hope you will visit this sight since the videos are so nice and their are many topics including international videos.
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Do you have or have your heard of the program Kidspiration? It is one of my favorite software pieces to use with my SmartBoard. A new version, Kidspiration 3, has just come out. You can download a free 30-day trial from their site. It has lots of templates, but I've made many for my K,1,2 teachers over the years. Many are for language arts. I'd be more than happy to share them if you are interested.
First I think that's a great way to narrow your focus. I'm always anxious to read about activities to increase reading comp. The site is really valuable as well. It's nice to see the board in action. I can see how the headphone aspect would be extremely helpful, especially during reading groups!
I know there is so much stuff I don't know how to do with my ACTIVboard. I really need to go to their site and see if they have tutorials like the ones for the Smartboard. It's just a matter of finding the time!!!
Post a Comment