Monday, April 7, 2008

Tumblebooks

I have been struggling to find good sites to use with the Smartboard to help students with reading comprehension for two nights. Then I just remembered that our school has a subscription to Tumblebooks. You can receive a trial at their site http://www.tumblebooks.com/
What I like about this sight is the variety of leveled books, the easy to navigate sight and the quizzes that are available. Presenting the books on the Smartboard allows the entire class to read the story and work through the quiz together. Comprehension test taking skills can be worked on with highlighting of important text. The books are readily available in the school library so the students can practice independently. In the search for helping young students with comprehension, I find this program very useful.
Another very useful tool is the feature to allow you to write a book report on the story. The student is provided a template to write a book report. This could be very effective on the Smartboard. When the report is completed, then the report can be printed. There are also options to have French or Spanish print also.
I can see this being very useful toward helping students to understand comprehension.

2 comments:

EmilyB said...

I just wanted you to know that your blog posts have been wonderfully helpful sources for me even though I don't have a whiteboard. The tumblebooks look really neat and I especially love the idea of using a template to complete reports. I try to do that often but they can be difficult to come up with when writing them by yourself. Having this sort of guide would be excellent. Thanks for the great tip!

Jessica said...

I know you teach elementary school, but I am actually going to use this site with my middle schoolers to teach them how to write a book report. So many of them just don't get it!