Thursday, April 17, 2008

US Research in Primary Grades

I thought it would be good to find a little more research especially from the US and in addition this article is in the primary grades. Through the web site techLearning.com there is an article Interactive Whiteboards for Interactive Teaching and Learning by Diane D. Painter, Elizabeth Whiting and Brenda Wolters (retrieved 4-17-08) that talks about how two second grade teachers used Interactive whiteboards and journaled their thoughts. The beginning of the article refers to the research that I have already read and used for this blog.
I found that on page 3 they talk about the "nine instructional technology strategies that Brabec, Fisher and Pitler (2004) said are effective in promoting student achievement." as I read further, there were two of these strategies on pg 3 that I found most relevant to my study.
One involved using story planners, completing data retrieval charts and creating column lists. all of these strategies apply to reading and could be used to enhance the skills of reading.
Another strategy involves linguistic and non-linguistic learning which included using cloze sentences that help with reading comprehension and vocabulary. I like the way the author is very specific about the strategies used. Although the data for the results is not conclusive.
Most importantly this article is very much about the interactivity of the IWB which is the other part of my study.
Be sure to check out the teacher links on page 4 under the Conclusions and Implications heading where you can link to the teachers' journaling from the study. It is good to read about how Wolters remembers using handwritten charts and wipe off markers which took hours to prepare. I can relate to that. Not only does the IWB make charts and information easily visible, the key factor is the interactivity. That is what the IWB provides that other technology doesn't.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

No more handwritten charts for you! You do it once, put it on the IWB, save it, and you've got it forever. I know the reason our schools put these great pieces of technology in our rooms was for the students, but don't you just love how much easier it has made your life?

Anonymous said...

I like how the teachers kept a journal about their experiences using the IWB with their students. Journaling is such an effective reflection tool - one I wish I had more time for. I'm glad you were able to find additional strategies to help you in your classroom. I agree that story planners are an effective tool, made more powerful when the students are involved using the IWB.