Sunday, April 20, 2008

How Could I Forget the IRA?

While trying to find more resources for the interactive white board and reading I came across the International Reading Association site of online information, International Reading Online.
There area many articles and lesson plans that involve good teaching practice that can be adapted to the IWB. An example is a lesson titled Word Wizards: Students Making Words,
retrieved 4-20-08. When looking at this lesson I was able to see how easily I could adapt the lesson to use with the IWB. The original lesson uses letters on the overhead and making letters for the student to manipulate. Now I would not want to replace magnetic letters and using them to manipulate words and letters, but I could see this lesson easily on the IWB. It is similar to word ladder and changing a letter or two to make a new word. this helps students to look for patterns in words. The author of this lesson also uses literature to integrate in the lesson. With so many books available on line, this would be another way to use the IWB and all of its tools, like underlining, highlighting making changes and writing in our own changes. Best of all, the changes can be saved and revisited. The International Reading Association has always been a resource of excellent practice in reading. I am happy to have found this reliable site and plan to visit often to see what I can use and adapt to the IWB.
Throughout this blogging experience I have worked to learn the best ways to use an IWB to help students with early reading skills and comprehension. I wanted to be sure whatever I use that it is interactive and not just using the IWB as a glorified overhead. I think I have found soem of these answers and know that I need to continue to search for the best ways to use an IWB not only or myself, but to share with my colleagues.

No comments: