I have found a nice site that has members of the Screen Actors Guild read stories online. You can find it at: http://www.storylineonline.net/
The reason I like this site is the feature to have the reading at full screen. The video quality is excellent and it is always nice to have someone different read a story. The selections are many of the stories I read to the class in the school year. There are related activities and more related activities that are very useful. They incorporate comprehension and extended activities. Another nice feature is the ability to print the activities guide. This is helpful when working on lesson plans.
Now to tie in the interactive whiteboard, I could see myself using the readings full screen and it would be like a movie for the students. We could do the activities together on the IWB using the pens to highlight and answer the questions. When the activities provide a website to search further we could do this as a whole group. In keeping with the key focus of interactivity, the students would be working on the board as we discussed the story whole or small group. My purpose for searching for activities for the IWB is to have a many ideas that I can use to help students in reading. While this sight would also be great for one or two students to work on the computer, the IWB allows for guided instruction all students can benefit from.
Saturday, April 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a neat site. Love that it is a real person reading to the kids. I listened to one of my favorite stories, A Bad Case of Stripes. I use it to teach my K students about spatial patterns. I can't believe the variety of stories. Another favorite is Nina Laden's Private I.Guana. She came to our school a few years and spoke. That was the story she shared with the students. It really is a cute story. Have already sent the link to my PK, K, and 1st teachers.
How great that the site has stories that you use already. I agree with you that the best apart of using the IWB is that you can instruct the WHOLE class together. I have a big problem of the kids goofing off when they are at individual computers.
Oh I LOVE this idea! First, that's a neat site and it seems like it would be a really big treat for the kids to view. I also like your plans for using this with the IWB. I wonder if there would be some way to use this to practice speaking skills as well. The students could read the parts of the story off the board and even act it out. They would already have the model of good speakers that could help them practice enunciation and fluency among other important speaking and presentation skills.
Post a Comment