I have come across a site via the "Virtual Learning" website http://www.virtuallearning.org.uk/iwb/index.html retrieved 3-30-08
that talks about he benefits of IWBs in the classroom. First of all, the Virtual Learning site is full of resources involving e-learning. I encourage anyone interested to check out the home sight.
The article I read is provided by Chris Warren of Actis Ltd. and is easy to read. I retrieved the site 3-30-08.
http://www.virtuallearning.org.uk/whiteboards/An_approach_to_an_effective_methodology.pdf
First off there is a comparison of a single computer to the use of an IWB. Of course the result is that more students are being reached in the same amount of time. I particularly like the diagrams, which help to clarify the information. I am a visual learner. The article talks much on the value of the teacher in the use of IWBs. The teacher is the mediator between the content on the whiteboard and the students. Without the teacher, the interaction would be more like a computer game. The teacher helps to fill in the gaps.
The article suggests that you do not design the lessons with all the information. Therefore, the students have to provide the answers or information. A way to show comprehension. The emphasis is on the "whole" class versus a single student in front of a single computer screen.
I like the way the information is presented in an outline format. It is clear and concise. A good resource.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I too am a visual learner and appreicate the ways IWB help bridge that gap for learners. I like the idea of leaving out information from the whiteboard to make students fill in the gaps. Thanks for sharing!
Don't know if you have come across this site yet, SMARTBoard Lessons Podcast. It has some great lesson ideas along with templates to use.
Sorry my 5 year old walked and distracted me. Here is the link http://pdtogo.com/smart/.
Post a Comment