Saturday, March 22, 2008

Teachers Talk About Their Uses of Interactive Whiteboards

Retrieved March 22, 2008
From the School Planning & Management magazine, January 2008
http://www.peterli.com/spm/resources/articles/archive.php?article_id=1705

Several teachers comment on their uses of an IWB. I am glad that this article is from the US to compare to what has been published in the UK. I also hope that my group gets to look at this since the teachers come from a variety of backgrounds, including special ed and middle school.
The author, Ellen Kollie, reports on the use of IWBs by teachers. First, a teacher from a high school in Richmond, Va teaching students with learning disabilities. He talks about using a document camera to introduce activities. I like the practical use to help students with job applications, a real world need. He also likes that the IWB allows him to access a variety of applications to use with what he needs to teach. I imagine this could also help his student learn to use basic computer programs that are now so important to job success. I would think if it was possible to put a cash register or other electronic device that is commonly used in the workplace would be helpful. Not to lower expectations but to provide needed skills.
Next, middle school teachers ,one in speech and language and the other an intervention specialist discuss their use of the IWB. A way that I think is very valuable is the use of posting the students' "daily planner". They can manipulate the information to put it in a more understandable order. They also talk about reading the newspaper online.
The last section discusses professional development with a program called eMint (enhancing Missouri’s Instructional Networked Teaching Strategies.) This training has a goal to instruct teachers how to use the technology to improve test scores. The article talks about the benefit of improvement of student behavior. Several articles discuss the behavior improvement aspect due to more student attention and motivation when using IWBs. The eMInt program is very extensive and when completed the teachers receive the tools necessary to implement what they have learned.
There is so much to learn about this subject. The IWB provides so many avenues to impart instruction and have students work using several modalities.

2 comments:

EmilyB said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this information. I have to admit my knowledge of ITBs before this class was next to none but I'm starting to see how tremendously valuable they can be. I love the idea of preparing students for workplace skills. That's not lowering expectations, that's something anyone could benefit from learning even if the only time they use a cash register is in their first job. I absolutely must see one of these boards in person!

Jessica said...

cIf only we had time to teach kids more "workplace" skills. Sometimes I get so frustrated that we can't cover topics of interest to the kids because they aren't listed in the standards.
Anyway...that's off topic! You really can use the IWB for so many things. When I went to my training last year, I couldn't believe kintergarden teachers were getting IWB, but really, they can be just as useful for them (or I guess I should say you) as they are for me.