Sunday, March 23, 2008

Research

Retrieved 3-23-08

http://smarterkids.org/research/library_subject.asp

I have found a web sight that has many research links concerning Interactive Whiteboards. Jessica, feel free to use this sight to help with your quest. There are plenty of links. The specific link I used tonight was : http://smarterkids.org/research/paper6.asp#intro
This link is a Research paper conducted by Mary Ann Bell of Baylor University in the
Winter 1998. The paper was constructed in typical research style so I have summarized some of the key points and where to locate them in the paper.
the purpose of the study was " investigate the use of the interactive electronic whiteboard in instruction." (Bell, 1998) Bell had a limited number of participants in the survey due to the nature of the need for participants to have experience with IWBs and the ability tp reach a variety of education users. In Chapter 2 of the survey, there is a review of the literature and a history of the use of IWBs in education. Chapter 3 provides the research design.
Chapter 4 is what I call the nitty-gritty, the demographic information. Bell used Likert Scale questions:
1. Ease of use. One of the answers described the ability to use the board to show groups how to use computer applications and software.
2. Effectiveness as a teaching tool. Answers included the document camera and use in writer's workshop for revision and ideas.
There was a section for student responses. They were generally positive and fun.
3. What they liked best. The interactivity was implied and student motivation.
4. Unintended use. One was happy to find the option of videoconferencing.
5.What they liked least. the complexity of the cords and the logistics of situating the board. Cost was another key factor.
I am happy to have found a typical research paper although it doesn't have information concerning the effectiveness of student learning. I plan to look at some more of the information on the main site that provides the links where this paper was located.

1 comment:

abaralt said...

Bookmarked the study to read in depth later on. Shame there were not more participants.

On a different note, came across this link you might want to look at in the future from Scholastic about Math and Science lessons featuring interactive white boards. Was afraid that if I didn't share it now, I would forgot to share it later. I don't think you've talked about it yet.
http://www.scholastic.com/interactivewhiteboards/