Friday, April 18, 2008

Something Fun for the Young Ones

With all this endless searching for information concerning Interactive Whiteboards and reading instruction I cam across a site sponsored by PBS called Between the Lions This is a fun site with loads of resources for teaching early reading. If you click on the parents and teachers link you will find various ways to search the site for different activities such as phonics, vocabulary and comprehension. When you search the Activities and Resources, there are hundreds of files. The stories have many recognizable authors and titles. The characters are from the PBS children's television show. You can print coloring sheets and play games with skills. There are some pretty contemporary videos with singing about a large variety of reading skills. My favorite activity is the game "Word Play" where lists of verbs are displayed and when you click on them the word performs the action of the verb. Pretty cute and I can imagine this would be helpful with my ESOL students.
Now what does this have to do with the IWB? Since most of the activities can be displayed via the IWB, the interactivity of the IWB is increased. One of the thoughts I have had would be if my older students could create some of their own activities after using some of the activities on theis site. Being careful of copyright of course. Let me know what you think.

3 comments:

EmilyB said...

First of all, I love the site you've linked to. I've heard of this but never looked it up. Even though it's geared towards younger kids, I have students who would LOVE this, especially the younger ones and those who are not functioning mentally at their grade level. I have no doubt that your plan for incorporating this for IWB use would be successful. You would go from limited peer interaction to full class interaction. Kids would work on teamwork and social skills while learning.
I have really learned so much from working with you in this class. I have mentioned this before but I desperately want an IWB in my classroom now and it's all thanks to you and the information you've provided. I know now that if/when I do manage to get one, I won't be sitting there staring at it but actually using it and helping others to use it as well. Best of luck to you!

Jessica said...

I defintely can see where young kids would love this site. There are so many sites out there that I'm sure you and I have only scratched the surface. When we first started blogging I was reluctant but now I really see the benefit of it. I'm glad we focused on the same area, it's been great learning from you!

Anonymous said...

Sue,
This is a great site that I share with my parents who ask for quality sites to use at home. I loved you idea of getting your older students involved in creating their own activities. I think you could take that further by having them create activities to use with younger students. Kids teaching kids is such a powerful motivator.