Saturday, April 5, 2008

Interactive Poetry lesson for beginning readers

As I narrow my topic to actual activities for reading comprehension that can be interactive with primary students, I have found a site titled Interactive Internet Resources retrieved 4-5-08.
http://www1.center.k12.mo.us/edtech/resources/SBsites.htm
There a many links through this site that are recommended for interactive white boards. The one I focused on was Read Write Think at
http://www.readwritethink.org/lessons/lesson_view.asp?id=883
retrieved 4-5-08
This lesson is very detailed and includes reading and writing activities using simple rhyming poetry to increase vocabulary, comprehension and writing skills. There is a reference from The Reading Teacher, 57, 490-492 by L.B. Gambrelll (2004) to support the connection between oral language and early reading.
The objectives and instructional plan make it very easy to implement these lessons immediately and allow for customizing the poetry to your students needs.
Another advantage of this site would be the use for English language learners. I am certified for ESOL students and am always looking for ways to increase their vocabulary skills.
Using the lessons on the SMART board allows for the whole group to work on the skills and using the interactive pens and or highlighting is a great way to point out the skills. Pictures may be added to further support vocabulary learning.
Another tool the lessons recommend is the Flip Book at http://www.readwritethink.org/materials/flipbook/
At first I was excited about this feature but I have not been able to keep it on the SMART board. I will have to investigate it more. The "Flip Book" allows you to make a book with tabbed labels. There are many applications for the "Flip Book" in all subject areas.
The lesson site even has IRA ans NCTE standards. I plan to return and seek more lessons that will help with reading comprehension and IWB use. I am also excited about the many other lessons and sites that are posted for other subject areas. This may also promote comprehension in the content area.

3 comments:

EmilyB said...

Well Sue, I'm not sure what happened to my original comment. You may get two from me for this post. I was just saying that I think this is a great lesson for poetry that can be adapted for those of us without SMART boards in our classrooms. It's just in time for me to start poetry too.
I'm sure it would be much better with the board but I'm still anxious to try it!

Jessica said...

What a great resource! I'm still relatively new to teaching and I've heard it over and over again since I've started - there's no need to reinvent the wheel when there are so many great resources aleady out there. I'm glad you've found one!

abaralt said...

Read*Write*Think is such a wonderful resource. I'm currently using their lessons to teach my 3rd graders about literary devices (simile, metaphor, alliteration, onomatopoeia, hyperbole.) I had never seen the flip book before though. Will have to check it out.