Friday, March 28, 2008

Virginia ED Tech forum

This is a forum sight from the Virginia Society for Technology in Education group.
http://forums.vste.org/showthread.php?t=7&highlight=Interactive+whiteboards
You need to register to this sight, it is free, to post. The sight itself is full of all kinds of educational technology articles and information. I read an article from the "Free Lance Star" a newspaper in Fredericksburg Virginia. http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005/112005/11012005/141841/index_html?page=1
The article is from 2005 and is a general article about an elementary school and its using of an IWB that they received from a grant. The area that interested me was the use of ACTIVotes, hand held devices that allow the students to interact with the IWB. The teacher can ask questions and the students can respond. I remember seeing something like this at the recent FETC (Florida Educational Technology Conference) in January. I think I would like to write a grant to obtain a set of these interactive devices to use with my SMARTboard. I will look for more information and maybe some research about the hand-helds and IWBs. With assessment driving so many aspects of education presently, I am always interested in different ways to assess.

3 comments:

abaralt said...

I used clickers from eInstruction with me students. I don't how they are different from the Activotes, but I would imagine they do the same think. Each child has their own clicker to answer questions. It is a wonderful assessment tools, and the kids LOVE THEM! I have students who walk in to my lab every week and ask if we are going to use them. They usually have a grant. I checked the site, but they don't have one right now. http://www.einstruction.com/UserArea/Grants/

EmilyB said...

I can only imagine how much kids would love being able to interact with the board individually. I can see how this would increase class participation, interest, maybe even help students who are shy about raising their hand. The forum is also a great tool. I'm thinking back to our readings for the week. Being able to share ideas with others is probably the single best way to explore the uses of the boards.

Jessica said...

We have two sets of ACTIVotes at our school but I've never used them. I need to get off my behind and track them down to use with mys students. As we begin the drill and kill process for the CRCT, this would be an awesome way to change things up for the kids!