I found the complete paper that Solvie had written that I talked about in an earlier post on March 14. The statistical data is interesting to see and helps with understanding her earlier post. I know some of you wanted to see more of the research. The first post was from an article in Reading Teacher magazine. The new link is: http://smarterkids.org/research/paper13.asp
Retrieved 3-27-08
The research concentrated on the student attention during literacy lessons. The same amount of lessons were used with and without the SMART board. The sample was small, 16 first grade students. I would like to see a study with more students and different assessment.
Also, for this posting I found a blogging sight called "Teachers Love Smart Boards" by James Hollis, retrieved 3-27-08. http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/teachers-love-smart-boards/posts/tag/smart%20boa
This blogging sight has a lot of SMART board information plus what seems like advertisement. Looking through some of the posts there is one on Sept. 11, 2007 that lists positives and negatives of the SMART Board in the classroom. A major negative deals with the proper training and follow-up for the teachers in the classroom. I am currently experiencing this at my school. I take some time once a week after school for an hour or so to help a teacher learn about the SMART Board but she is still very hesitant to use it without support in the room. We have had several in-services at school but not much follow up. It seems that when some teachers get the SMART board in their room, they become possessive and do not want to share. I'm not sure what the answer is.
Another post I found interesting is the September 9, 2007 titled Smart Boards - How to Integrate into Classroom. In this post you are taken to an article by Allisyn Levy titled How to Integrate a SmartBoard into Your Teaching.
The article is very short and basic but the additional resources at the end are useful.
I'm still struggling to get research to help with determining the effectiveness of Interactive White Boards and early reading so I would like to know if there are any search tips some one can give me. I only know the basics.
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is really good information. I know lack of training and follow up is a big problem in many different areas of technology and curriculum strategies in general. Sometimes I feel like my attendance at an inservice training is the magic bullet that solves any problems I may have been having. There is so much more to it than that. Training is so important and multiple trainings are essential as is the follow up. I think that's one of the biggest reasons why I'm really enjoying all this reading on smartboards-- if/when the time comes where they are up for discussion at my school, I will have something to back my reasons for wanting one. Too often things go unused because people are unsure how to integrate products into their current class structure. I'm glad to see this being addressed. I will keep my eye out for research articles for you.
Emily
I have the very problem your article discusses about the lack of training for the IWB. I've only been to one in-service training for my board. I've had no follow up instruction and I often get frustrated trying to figure it out on my own. While I love mine and use it everyday, I know there is so much more that I could do with it if I just know HOW!
Post a Comment